Thursday, October 3, 2013

First Email

To start off...
My district is a 'pilot district', which means that they're trying new teaching styles with our district. Which also means 2 of the guys who helped write PMG (preach my Gospel) are our teachers... uhh what?! Yeah kinda intimidating at first. But boy are they amazing! Their names are brother Kohler and brother Glaizer. They are both the man! One of our other main teachers is brother Reis, or for you missionaries out there, Elder Reis from the district videos!
So because we are a special pilot district, we started doing TRC's (teaching fake investigators) on our 2nd day. Well, to say the least, mine and Sister Ferguson's (my companion) lesson was a huge train wreck. We met with a girl name Lawanna, and we just went about everything the wrong way. And the way TRC's go, you have some progressing investigators. And guess who we were meeting with 4 more times... Yes, Miss Lawanna. So our next meeting with her was on Monday, and I was scared out of my mind. How was Isupposed to fix this disaster of a lesson?
But that's exactly the problem. I was focusing too much on how I could make the lesson go better, instead of focusing on Lawanna and what the spirit was telling me. Ezra Taff Benson said "If you're worrying about having the Holy Ghost with you, you won't have it." Think about that...

So before our lesson on Monday, Sister Ferguson and I said the most heartfelt prayer I've ever said. Just asking so sincerely for the spirit to be there and have Lawanna feel it! And boy did she ever! After a simple question about what makes her happy, she broke down in a sob. She was unable to speak because she was so overcome by the spirit! And Sister Ferguson and I felt it too. The tears started rolling down our face as Lawanna finally connected with the spirit. The Spirit is a crazy thing on your mission. A mission can be crazy hard, or super easy. Something that Brother Kohler told us was that "Your mission can be super easy, if you learn to recognize the spirit and have the faith to act on it" So that's one thing I'm really going to focus on during the next 2 weeks at the MTC and out in the field.
So a little about the MTC....
1) DON'T be scared, it's seriously one of the most spiritual and welcoming places I've ever been. Peace will overwhelm you as soon as you enter
2) Your companion is truly inspired. Sister Ferguson and I have taught each other SO much already. She has answered my own personal prayers countless times
3) The food really does "blow your bowels" -Elder Spragg. Stick with the fruit and ice cream!

It was so nice to receive something in the mail yesterday... Thanks Reed family for the delicious cookies :) 
For those of you who love me... write me!! I love letters! Either Dear Elder or write me at...
Sister Gretchen Rose Brock
OCT16 UT-TMSQ
2007 N 900 E Unit 79
Provo UT 84602
I will be at this address until October 16th when I leave for Temple Square! Sadly, I will not be able to go to the Square for conference... but I am super excited about being in the MTC. There is just such an amazing Spirit about the MTC. Well that's all for this week. Wish I had more time! There is SO much to tell about this short time I've been out already. I'm going to try to send pictures... but the computers are kinda weird here.
Love you all!!
This gospel is TRUE!!! Moroni 10:3-5
Love,
Sister Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment