Sunday, January 19, 2014

Letters from Temple Square!

Oi! 
Well I'm working on my Portuguese! My new companion is from Portugal, but she is teaching me how Brazilians speak so that I can talk with Nanern and Jamesy after the missions. It's great! Transfer week is always so crazy, so much moving and changes. I moved to the supppper nice apartments! We have the penthouse suites and one of the rooms has a BEAUTIFUL view of the Temple and Downtown SLC. We are on the other side of the building and have a great view of the mountains. Our whole back wall of our apartment is glass so I love just laying on the couch in the mornings and watching the sunrise. Seriously amazing! We also have 2 bathrooms in this apartment, which is really helpful with 6 sisters. We have awesome roommates too, Sister Barrett, Sister Fiquet, Sister Christensen and Sister Jin.
Picture that I just took with my new companion so that you could see her. haha
So my assignments for this transfer is Beehive, DAP (in charge of the apartment) and Sports coordinator! So I organize and run all the sports we play in the mornings, which means that I actually need to work out and not just "stretch." So this has been a good assignment for me, helps me be more consecrated. The sisters love playing basketball and volleyball, so that's what we do most of the time. I am doing so much better at not being competitive! But sometimes I just run laps around the gym instead. We have a church across the street that we have available to work out in the mornings, so grateful for that!


Beehive house is so cool! It's slow season, so we don't take too many tours, but in the back room they have a TC! So we are able to call and talk to our investigators. Miracles truly happen in the beehive house though. So many people just come for the history, but end up referring. They learn that there is so much more to Brigham Young than his 56 wives or 57 children. They learn that he was a great man and leader, that he was a man inspired of God. Brigham Young truly was a prophet, that had so much love for everyone around him. I love serving in the Beehive.

Sister Muli just got back from her outbound in the Salem, Oregon mission. She is seriously so hilarious! We are like 2 peas in a pod now. She has been telling me so many stories from back home, especially with some of the Elders there... Apparently I have a little fan club, hahaha. But she is as crazy and hilarious as ever, loving it back at the beautiful Square!
President and Sister Gillette! Only the 2 cutest people I know.


This week I have been thinking a lot about expectations. Expectations from other people, from myself and from God. I think that my biggest fear is not being able to fulfill people's expectations of me. I have always felt pressure to be the best at whatever I do, and if I'm not than I'm nothing. But with a mission full of amazing Sisters, you can't afford to think that way! I was making a list of what I assume people's expectations are for me, and boy were they tough! Then I was making a list of my expectations for myself, and they were a little bit more reasonable. But then I was making a list of God's expectations for me. And they are achievable. What does God want me to do, to be and to become? Heavenly Father wants me to work my hardest, he wants me to be diligent and faithful. He doesn't care if I'm a trainer, DL, ZL or AP. That doesn't matter to Him, so why should it matter to me? He wants me to be my best self, and to share what I know, He wants me to preach His Gospel and invite others to come unto Him. It would be a selfish mission if I lived everyday to one day be a great leader. This week was a mission changer for me, and I am glad I had this realization now, I don't want to go through my mission in vain.
Transfer day, and at the Temple Model!

My Last District! 


I love this Gospel. I am a witness of the truthfulness of the restoration. The spirit testifies of truth, and we are all entitled to the light of Christ, we ALL can know of Christ's reality and of the truthfulness of this Gospel for ourselves. We just have to have the desire to know. Sister Rodrigues is very smart, and has great analogy's! She would tell it a lot better, but I'll try. There is a story about a man that said to a famous philospher, "Give me all the knowledge you have." And the philosopher said okay and took the man's head and held it down in the water of a well. The man was struggling and trying to get air, and only at the last second did he let him up. The philosopher said "When you want this knowledge as much as you wanted air, THEN will you obtain this knowledge." I know that as we have the true, burning desire to know if something is true, THEN we will know. 

Trust me, I'm there! But I've just gotten really tan in this snow....

Hope you all have a great week! We get a new mission President this week, President Poulsen. Stay tuned next week for the update :)
Much love,
Sister Brock
p.s. We have 2 baptisms this week, and possibly 3 the following. And on the 26th, we're going to a local ward and speaking in Sacrament meeting! I'm so excitedddd!

No comments:

Post a Comment