Thursday, February 27, 2014

Transfer 4 week 1

It was definitely inspired that we were to have a Friday P-day because I am dead tired right now. These past few days have been absolutely crazy! But I loved absolutely every minute of it. Tuesday was great, after emailing my district went on a 'hike' to Ensign Peak. It was so fun though, even though my white shoes got destroyed. They'll live! We took lots of pictures so I'll send some home.
Hike

Wednesday started off bright and early. We greeted the new sisters and helped them get all their stuff off the bus. Then took them to theater 1 and prepared them for their interviews with president. We helped them do all their paperwork and then just answered all their questions until President and the AP's assigned companionship's.  They got announced one by one and then we put on the training lunch (which we got to eat too which was nice) and helped clean up. The next 8 hours we spent in our office/running around the offices updating all the lists and getting everything organized so that we don't have to spend so much time in the office this upcoming week. We literally came to the downstairs in the SVC at 7am and didn't go upstairs until we went home at 9pm. That was a long and stressful day, especially not knowing anything really about my assignment. But I feel like now I understand what I'm doing. We am helping the mission run smoothly. We comb through the mission's numbers and pick out specific things the mission needs to improve on, and we present it at the staff meeting every Sunday.
Thursday was a lot smoother, but we were still in the office for a lot of the day. We got to go outside three times! Once to drop something off at the church office building, to go to the NVC for TC, and once to go to costco. We have been updating President Poulsen's transfer and had to go print off a bunch of pictures. (P.s. I REALLY like having our own car, it's nice not having a time limit also on P-day to use the car, and not having to drive a mini van.) We got some times yesterday to call our investigators, which I was very excited about because I had SO much time last transfer in Beehive to call people, but barely any time at all these next few transfers. 

But boy have we been so blessed by such effective TC time. In the short time we'd had, we have been able to teach 8 other lessons, and about 10 recent converts. The last OA was talking to me on Monday after transfer conference and she said that this is one assignment that will make you grow the most; as a person, and mostly as a missionary. That seeing the numbers will definitely change how you teach people. And I have seen a huge change already! Something that I was stuck on was not inviting people to be baptized sooner. In Preach my Gospel it says that we should invite them on the 1st or 2nd lesson, and that's pretty scary at times! Because you have just started teaching them about the Gospel, and it's usually a pretty foreign concept for them. But I know that there are SO many people out there prepared and ready for the Gospel. And that as we invite people to be baptized, we are finding those who are prepared. Elder Clark of the 70 came to the Square once and told me that "Those who are prepared to hear the Gospel will recognize you as a representative of Jesus Christ." And I know that this is so true. If they are prepared, they can feel the spirit, and the spirit will testify to them of the truthfulness of this message. There is nothing holding me back anymore from inviting everyone to be baptized.
Today has been a much more relaxing day, just a return outbound lunch we prepared, more scheduling on the computers, weekly planning and more office work. P-days sometimes get cut short when you're in the office, because we always have so much we need to do, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I absolutely LOVE this assignment. I can already tell how much I have changed as a missionary. I feel so much more love for the other sisters, I know who is struggling and I have the opportunity to serve them. When we get lunch/dinner, Sister Yeung and I made a goal to reach out to the other Sisters. Those who are maybe having a bit of a hard time, either with teaching or companions. And we want to be someone for them to turn to, someone that they can open up to! I feel so young still in the mission, but I hope to be someone that they know they can always come to.
Let me tell you about my new companion! First of all, for the past 3 weeks I have been praying for my next companion to be Asian. I have literally NEVER met a sweeter group of people in my life. They are so tender hearted and so genuine. And that's exactly what my companion is! She told me as well that she was praying for a companion just like me. We get along pretty well :) Not only is she the sweetest, but she is an amazing missionary. SO obedient and she knows her purpose. She knows how to get things done! We work so effectively and efficiently together. We are the perfect match! She's from Hong Kong, but studied at BYU-H for awhile before her mission. She is 21 and is in her 6th transfer. She speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, English, German and some Spanish. So she's pretty smart... She keeps saying "Sister Brock, you're so tall, skinny, white, blonde and light eyed. Beautiful!" What did I tell you? Asians love me.  

This morning I was richly blessed. I was looking through my luggage and stumbled across a piece of paper. This paper is a record of my setting apart as a missionary, with the blessings I was promised. Thank you Marge Cook for writing this down! Looking back at the words that were said, it just brought me to tears. This paper went almost hand in hand with my patriarchal blessing, almost word for word. And it is much more of a reassurance for me to know that these blessings truly are for me! That they aren't just fluffy words to motivate me to be a better missionary, but that God truly does have a purpose and a plan for me. That as I fulfill my purpose in my mission, that these blessings will come to pass. And I truly intend to do everything I can to fulfill my purpose and my calling. One specific blessing in it says that as I call upon my Heavenly Father for the strength I lack, that he will lift me and direct me to be a very successful missionary. I know how important it is to trust in our Heavenly Father in all that we do, there is no way we can do this work without him. I love being a missionary. I love the trials and challenges I have had through my mission, because I know that God knows my potential far better than I do. I have a very strong testimony about God's will for each of us, and am thankful for the opportunity I have to share that with others.
Thank you for all of your love and prayers. It is greatly appreciated! 
I love you all so much.
Sister Brock
p.s. Tomorrow we are going to a funeral of one of Sister Yeung's recent convert's (Mandarin) brother. Recent convert's name is Scott, he's 14 and was adopted from China. His family is LDS and there are 18 kids. Gideon was the young boy who passed away from a heart condition, he was only 2 years old. But Scott doesn't speak or understand English too well, so we're going to help comfort him and be his support.
My new companion, Sister Yeung, and I in our office!



No comments:

Post a Comment