Thursday, February 21, 2013

Future Missionary

A lot of people recently have asked me why I have decided to serve a mission. And at first it was hard for me to answer! It was simply because I felt it was right, but they seemed to want a more in  depth answer. And over these past few months my desire has just grown stronger and stronger and I have come to see more specifically WHY I am supposed to serve a mission.

All of my life I've grown up knowing that boys go on missions when they are 19, and girls can go on missions when they are 21. TWENTY ONE. I was not fond of this number. So I never even gave a thought to serving a mission, until last general conference. On October 6th, 2012 President Thomas S. Monson announced that young men could go at age 18. Hurray! And then he continued to say...

"We have prayerfully pondered the age at which young men may begin their missionary service, we have also given consideration to the age at which young woman might serve. Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21."

At this point my jaw was to the ground. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, that fear of the number 21 had disappeared! At this point I wanted to serve, but I didn't know if I should serve. What to do, what to do? Many people in the scriptures turned to their Heavenly Father in prayer for answers. So what did I do? I prayed. Prayed my little heart out to know if I was supposed to serve a mission. For the next week or so I couldn't get it off my mind, constantly thinking about the positives and negatives about serving a mission. And you know what? I couldn't find a single negative! Everything that you get out of a mission is positive: you become more independent, you get to experience a different part of the world, gain a greater love for others, gain a greater love for your Heavenly Father and most importantly gain a greater love for this gospel.

Taking a step back, I realized that these attributes would make me into the person I want to become. They would make myself, as well as my future family much stronger. It would build my family upon the foundation of Christ, which we are advised to build our testimonies on in Helaman 5:12. "...because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

I am also super excited about being able to go out and full heartily serve the Lord by serving the people of (insert future mission area here) for 18 months. I have always believed that the two ways you can show your love to your Father in Heaven is by obedience and by serving others. And I look forward to being able to do both with all my might, mind and strength for 18 straight months. I love this Gospel!  


3 comments:

  1. You are amazing! And such an incredible example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is amazing and it definitely sent chills all over my body. it kind of makes me want to serve a mission now.

    ReplyDelete