Friday, December 13, 2013

Transfer 2 week 1! I'M A 2ND TRANSFER!

Hello my beautiful family and friends, everyone seemed to ask me how the marvelous Thanksgiving went, so I guess I'll start with that!
Thanksgiving here is just amazing. I can't even explain it! We are on the square until about 1, and then we pack up in buses and went to this place here called Noahs. It's like a party place that you can rent out. We did SO much! Started off with some fun thanksgiving traditions of President and Sister Gillette, we sang some songs, told some thanksgiving stories and just had a good time all together. Then we broke off by zones to do some of the activities. They were ping pong (Yes, I killed everyone), pool (I also killed everyone), crafts, movies (MONSTERS UNIVERSITY!), wallyball, dance party and my favorite.. Ice skating! So you could say it was a great day. I pretty much played wallyball all day, went ice skating, and to the dance party. We listened to actual music! Which isn't too abnormal for us, because we listen to like Spanish music for Zumba in the mornings, and when we go to City Creek there's always normal music. But we also had a great turkey dinner, wasn't the same as my moms though. I definitely miss your cooking mom!  But overall, Thanksgiving was a blast, and a good kick off to our CRAZY BUSY SEASON!
So the lights turned on this past Friday night, and literally it is so overwhelming. For those of you who have seen the lights... it's a lot more hectic as a missionary. People come just to see the lights and they often don't want to stop to talk to the missionaries! So we have to look extra good during Christmas season! Just kidding... we just have to be more personable and welcoming. Saturday night was actually probably our busiest night so far. Strangely, on our schedule, we don't have a TON of Square time at night. So Square time is really precious to me. Last night we only had about 10 minutes on the square because we were getting things ready for the Spanish Marathon and Spanish concert (my companion is the Spanish coordinator). So in those 10 minutes we were able to find an amazing family who just got sealed in the Temple 15 days ago! They definitely had a certain glow about them. And they referred their family! 14 family members, who they said are so prepared to receive the gospel. So we are very excited to call them tonight! 
I saw Mr.Klayton Thompson on Saturday! It was weird to see the missionary role switched... but good to see him! We got a picture, so I hope you got it family. Megan also was at the Square, but I couldn't find her :( I searched SO HARD! I was looking for Reese's head above the crowds. No luck. I got your note though Megan! Loved it. 
P.s. If you leave a note with any sister, put your number on it! We can text you and find out where you are and come find you! And always leave notes with like every sister you see, because who knows when I'll see those sisters.
So during Christmas season we have different assignments. We have stations like Christus and Gods plan, where we have 3 sets of sisters to constantly play and do crowd control. Those are my favorites! Because you can actually do really good contacting there. We've gotten some golden referrals from crowd control on Christus. People are prepared to hear this message, don't be scared to share it with them! We get to have Christus on Friday nights for an hour, which means BUSY! I absolutely love it. It's one of my favorite assignments. At Christus this last Friday, a wonderful old woman came and gave Sister Gudiel and I the most BEAUTIFUL knitted hat and scarf. They are so precious to me.
So I can testify that the Scriptures are amazing. I don't know why I didn't read them as much before my mission. They literally are the words for the soul! They are words of encouragement, hope, and love! The scriptures enlighten me in new ways every time I read them, they are written in such an inspired way that they truly help you with whatever current circumstance you are going though.
Yesterday was fast Sunday, which is the best Sunday ever. In church, literally half the congregation stands up to go share their testimony! So it is almost impossible to get up and actually have time to share your testimony. BUT, it is so amazing to be given the opportunity to fast. Fasting is an amazing thing! To be able to receive blessings by simply giving up 2 meals. This past Sunday I fasted for one of my investigators, Amir. He had a baptismal date for December 7th, and he was so golden! But I haven't been able to get a hold of him for over 2 weeks.. and the rule is, if someone doesn't answer 4 times, then you have to drop them, because there are so many other people who are waiting to receive the Gospel! So I have been so scared to email/call him for the 4th time because I didn't want to drop him. So I was fasting for him yesterday, and Sister Gudiel can only physically skip 1 meal, so I was reading my scriptures during lunch. And I came across so many good scriptures about fasting, and it was just going along with my normal straight through Book of Mormon studies. Well I just love fasting! Because right after lunch, and having so much temptation with Sister Gudiel's lunch, but withholding myself, I went onto my email and none other than Amir emailed me back. AND IT WAS AMAZING! He has just been really busy to email be back, but he has been reading the Book of Mormon and praying. And his wife still lives in Iran, but he's been talking to her about the church and she is so excited for him! She wants to be there, and she wants to get baptized too! So we're waiting for her to move to Salt Lake (which should be very soon) and then they are both getting baptized. Fasting works. Fasting brings blessings, and I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to fast.
Sister Garcia and I, LOVE HER! We WILL be companions one day! 




So I was trying to think of an awesome inspirational thought I had this week... but I think with Thanksgiving and the lights, my week and brain have been too hectic to have an 'Ah ha!' moment. But I did come across a scripture that I just absolutely loved and wanted to share with you all. It's Alma 17:11-12, 
11) 
And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be apatient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good bexamplesunto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.
 12) And it came to pass that the hearts of the sons of Mosiah, and also those who were with them, took courage to go forth unto the Lamanites to declare unto them the word of God.

I think that this went perfect with this past week. The previous 3 weeks Sister Gudiel were on fire, teaching over 30 lessons per week, setting baptismal dates like crazy and just getting so many new investigators! But this week was hard... we taught 9 lessons, and none of our investigators with baptismal dates were answering us. So it was a little discouraging. But then I read this scripture. And this has been a hard time for me! Not feeling like a successful missionary, but I know that my efforts are not wasted. That those 9 lessons made a difference in someones life! And I know that as I stay patient and faithful through these tougher times, that I will be an instrument in the hands of my God. That I will be HIS missionary doing HIS work! I just have to have the courage to keep pressing forward. I love the story of Ammon and his brothers. That they gave up a kingdom to be a missionary! That although they were such righteous sons of God, that people still rejected them, Hey! Even people rejected Jesus Christ! But they still pressed forward in the work. That they still went forth preaching the gospel, they didn't get discouraged, but they were faithful through their trials. And that's what I need to do too. I can't get discouraged in times of hardship, it will only hinder the work. The scriptures apply to us in these days, always seek to apply them to your life. I can promise that they will be a strength in your life, that you will find the answers you are looking for within the pages. 
Well I hope you all have an amazing week, I look forward to hearing from you during this amazing Christmas time! I challenge you to look for scriptures about Jesus Christ to share this season. It can change someone's life, I testify of that. Love you all!
Much love,
Sister Brock
p.s. I keep seeing a white suburban everywhere with a RAGNAR sticker in the back, it keeps throwing me off! Miss you Olsen family, especially my Cam Bam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment